Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Merry Thanksgiving, Happy Christmas, Jolly Holidays

I can't believe it has been over two weeks since my last post. Although, I noticed that when I posted something totally unrelated to Twilight, I only got one comment. Hmmmmmmm. Oh, well. So . . . the movie came out last Friday and, admittedly/shamefully, I was out those school doors by 3:19. I was impressed by the movie, however, it must be noted that I went in with a certain level of expectation of disappointment. I had seen the trailers, and knowing that movies are never as good as their books, I felt reasonably assured of some disappointment. The production company is not a major in the industry and naturally had a limited budget. Overall, though, I think the movie was well done and I look forward to seeing the next one when it comes out.

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving! I spent the better part of today Christmas shopping - by myself. In the past, I have always done the big "day after Thanksgiving" shop-a-thon with my mother. She would pick me up or we would meet at her house in Tulsa around 4 AM and finish up sometime in the afternoon. I couldn't find anyone around here willing to do that with me! It is making me miss my mom that much more during these holidays. We have recently decided to head back to OK during the Christmas/New Year holiday. My dad is flying into Louisville on Dec. 22 and will spend a few days here with us. Then, on Dec. 26, we will all drive back to OK together. On Jan. 2, the fam will head back to KY to get a start on a new semester. We all return to school on Jan. 5. Mark is taking a J term (a one month long, condensed class) - and he has chosen Greek! It will be a FUN month for us (is the sarcasm coming through in the text?)!

The boys are doing well in school. Both are making good improvements - although I still miss homeschooling. I don't know if we will ever get back to it, but given the choice of feeding them or homeschooling them, we went with putting food in their bellies! The students in my kindergarten class are doing exceptionally well! All of them are making excellent progress - some first grade readers, lots of kids starting to read little three letter words, and even my less experienced students are now getting nearly all their letters and letter sounds. It is so amazing to watch their transformations! We are indeed "fearfully and wonderfully made."

3 comments:

NTSS Montgomery said...

Oh you mentioned Twilight...I'm obligated to comment. lol. :) Hope your shopping trip turned out okay today. I miss getting to leave the house. I hate our current one car for our family situation. Grr. I just blogged about the movie too I had gotten several emails about why I hadn't said anything about it, but I think you already know most of my thoughts on the movie.

Amy said...

I didn't know you homeschooled your boys at one time! I had considered homeschooling our kids this year - was all set to go buy the materials. Had a pretty good plan! But decided against it after our ONLY friends here moved away. I didn't want to take Hunter away from his school friends and wanted to give Lizzie a chance to make new friends! It was the right decision for us for now. I have NO plans whatsoever to send them to public school when they hit JR HIGH age (this thought scares me to death!)...so we'll be homeschooling it then!

Lisa said...

I didn't get a notification that you had updated. Grrr.

I still haven't gotten to see Twilight. Double Grrrr.