Saturday, October 25, 2008

So Many Tomes, So Little Time

OK. So anybody who knows me well, knows how much I like to read. I'm typically engrossed in up to 5 books at any one time - usually stacked on my nightstand, but occasionally sliding around in my car somewhere. (Yes, I'm one of those people who can read while riding in a car!) Mostly I prefer reading non-fiction, but on occasion have found a fiction book or series worthy of my time. Quickly, I'll share with you what I have recently read or am currently reading. Then I'll wrap up with some thoughts on what I am considering reading next and open it up to suggestions.

Just finished reading:
The Hiding Place: The Triumphant True Story of Corrie Ten Boom. An extraordinary story of a courageous christian woman who not only survived unimaginable horrors at the hands of Nazi's, but managed to spread Christ's message to see lives transformed forever.

Currently reading:
Men Are Like Waffles, Women Are Life Spaghetti by Bill and Pam Farrel. Absolutely hilarious - made more so because you will see yourself and your spouse everywhere in this book. A relationship help book that doesn't read like one!
Out of the Salt Shaker & into the World by Rebecca Manley Pippert. You don't have to be scared to share the goods news. A profoundly inspiring book with immediate real-life applications on how to make evangelism a way of life.
Tortured for Christ by Pastor Richard Wurmbrand. Another great story depicting the experiences of a Romanian pastor who spent 14 years in Communist prisons. This book is free from Voice of the Martyrs (VOM).
don't waste your life by John Piper. (Todd, I hope you can appreciate that I chose to read a Calvinist!) This book warns against getting caught up in a life that counts for nothing and reminds us that God made each us to "live with a single passion: to joyfully display his supreme excellence in all the spheres of life." Wonderfully written. Here is a great quote from the book: "Only one life, 'twill soon be past; Only what's done for Christ will last."
Christmas Out of the Advent Box by Benjamin R. Husted and family. This is actually a reread from about a year ago. This book is an invaluable resource for how to share the real reason and joy of the season (not just the day). Wonderful ideas and scriptures for EVERY day of the advent season. Truly a remarkable book and a must read for all families.

Now that I'm ending my long (and amazingly incomplete) list, I'm considering beginning the Twilight series. If anyone out there has any recommendations for quality fiction, let me know. I have a feeling that after I complete all these, I just might be ready for a break from reality!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Way to go reading all those books...I think I would shoot myself in the head if I was forced to read that list...but, alas, I am NOT a nonfiction reader...so that would be the problem!! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to read and so I shall now try to persuade you to come over to the dark side and read mostly fiction.

My first argument would be that you are a great person already (you don't really need much improvement) and I find that if God wants to change me or my thoughts on something that He can use just about anything, including fiction (He used "Twilight" for me recently). My second argument would be that fiction is actually enjoyable to read. I am glad that God loves stories and that it was His idea to make them such a major part of our lives.
My third and most important argument is that I may someday be a famous fiction author and you (whether you like it or not) will be forced to read my books since you are my friend...so you may as well get used to fiction now :)
In all seriousness...I shall allow you to enjoy nonfiction (sigh), after all, my husband likes to read business books (kill me now). Just wanted to remind you that fiction is better :)
So, here are a few of my suggestions:
"The Secret Life of Bees" by Sue Monk Kidd
"Frankenstein" by Mary Shelley
"Twilight" by Stephenie Meyers
"Where the Heart Is" by Billie Letts
"A Prayer for Owen Meany" by John Irving
Any of the Harry Potter books
Frank Peretti's "This Present Darkness" series
"The Oath" by Frank Peretti
"Les Miserables" by Victor Hugo (get the adapted version by Jim Reiman...it's sooo good and less wordy)
OK, you get the point. I will stop there! Much love to you and yours and happy reading!

The Allans said...

My Favorite Fiction book these days is "Same Kind of Different as Me". It's great!

Lisa said...

I am thinking of trying out the Twilight books myself! We can compare notes!

NTSS Montgomery said...

I loved Twilight so you should read it for sure. :) I love Fiction books myself but that's because I read for an escape. Here's what I'm reading or have read:

Just got done with Twilight Series for the second time in a month.

Next up is: The Host by Stephenie Meyer, The Uglies (series of 5 books) by Scoott Westerfeld, The Inkheart series (3 books) by Cornelia Funke

And yes I like young adult lit :)