Thursday, January 21, 2010

What a Relief

There is a certain relief in change, even though it be from bad to worse! As I have often found in travelling in a stagecoach, that it is often a comfort to shift one's position, and be bruised in a new place. ~Washington Irving


Moved 750 miles from friends and family

Bruised in a new place

Found a job; quit a job (repeat about a dozen times)

Bruised in a new place

Financial hardships

Bruised in a new place

Relationship struggles

Bruised in new place

Denied an easier road

Bruised in a new place


As Mark and I are running this race walking this road crawling down this path of constant change the Lord has set before us, I oft times:


Question my God

Why?

Beg my God

Please?!

Wrestle with my God

NO!

Shut out my God

I can do it myself.


I want to get angry with my God and stomp my foot and tell Him how it isn’t fair! But then I remember . . .


Beaten three times

Bruised in a new place

Shipwrecked three times

Bruised in a new place

Stoned once

Bruised in a new place

Thrown in prison

Bruised in a new place

Denied relief . . . three times

Bruised in a new place


Who could endure such repeated bruising? I’m sure I couldn’t.

Who would willingly continue with the certainty of more bruising? I’m sure I wouldn’t. But then it comes. Not all the answers I want, but the only answers I need.


"And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong". II Corinthians 12:9-10


Through Paul’s affliction, though we know not what it was, he learned to surrender his own will to the will of God. Paul recognized that it is during these times of hardship and human weakness that God’s strength can be experienced most fully. It is during these times that we are forced to put aside our own frail, human-centric dreams, wants and ambitions, and rest in the will of our God who gives us what He knows we need. It is during these times that we see our need for Him.


"By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God. And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience; And patience, experience; and experience, hope: And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us. For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly.” Romans 5:2-6

"My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations; Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience. But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing.” James 1:2-4


So I endeavor to accept this shifting, and be. . .

Bruised in new place.

1 comment:

Sara Beth Stout said...

Amy, Thanks for writing this. I needed to hear allll of that!